In my last blog post I discussed cold-calling techniques and explained how cold calling isn’t all about “the sale”. Today I’ll touch on some techniques related to sales qualifying and ways you can improve your skills so you can close more deals.
Cold calling is not a favorite task of even the most seasoned sales professionals. However, it’s a fact that businesses can’t survive without generating revenue, so proficiency in all matter of selling tactics is critical. One of the keys to being skillful in this arena is to know how to qualify your prospects.
Here are some sales qualifying tips:
1. “Before I called I was doing some research and I noticed you currently use ACME Company for XYZ. How long have they been your supplier? And, if I may ask, what do you like most about doing business with them?”
2. “If you could change one aspect of the current arrangement with ACME, what would it be and why?”
3. “What are the most important issues that you would like to see addressed should you decide to go with a new supplier?”
4. “Tell me about a key problem you currently face with your existing ACME supplier where you’re looking for an alternative solution and why…”
5. “What is your greatest challenge and why?”
If you really want to separate your company from your competition you need to take the time to learn about the ins and outs of your prospect’s business, and then demonstrate this knowledge in your insightful questions and solutions. In this way you’ll be giving them a reason to do business with you as opposed to someone else. Immersing yourself in what your potential customer needs can even result in your having the perfect lead-in for that first call, and there’s nothing wrong with that!
Carpe Diem My Friends!