It just wouldn’t be the end of another year without all of us having to reevaluate the technology in our lives, would it? Now that Windows 8 has been released, many home-based business opportunity, franchise and other small business owners are asking themselves the same question: Should I make the switch?
Developed with any eye toward making the PC more like your mobile phone, Windows 8 offers some key features that any small business owner or someone looking to start a turnkey business might find enticing, especially when it comes to ease of use, the opportunity for increased mobility and enhanced security options. Here’s a closer look:
• Touch screen interface—While you can still opt to use your keyboard, the new touch screen capability of Windows 8 is its most defining feature, allowing you to manipulate things on the screen much like you do on your smartphone. Given that many of us live and die by our phones the whole touch concept is largely second nature by now, so this feature isn’t just novel, it’s easier.
• Customized screen options—Again, much like your smartphone, Windows 8 is designed for optimal navigation, allowing you to customize your start screen with the apps and software you use most. Bottom line, you can get to what you want, need and use to run your business more quickly. Plus, Windows 8 comes with its own apps store, which can be found as a tile on the start screen…sound familiar?
• Ease of configuration—Add any device, such as a printer or a scanner, with just one quick touch of your screen. Managing your computer’s overall set-up just became less complicated.
• More built-in technology—Again, in keeping with what many of us have come to expect from our smartphones, Windows 8 has a number of built-in technology features, including GPS and 3G/4G mobile broadband support.
• Data tracking feature—For small business owners, tracking data usage can be a necessity, especially when budgets are tight. Windows 8’s metering feature makes doing so simple.
• Enhanced security features—Having a computer lost or stolen, especially if you are a business opportunity, franchise or other small business owner can be devastating on every level. That’s why Windows 8 is designed to prevent data access by anyone other than the one who is supposed to have it. Features such as built-in and advanced picture password security and technology that scans for malware/viruses at boot-up not only protect valuable and proprietary data, but ward off scammers and hackers too—many of whom are targeting small businesses in much greater numbers as of late.