“Nowadays, the best way to get into the Top of Google, is to target long tail keywords because they are much less competitive, more profitable and less risky. In addition, they can bring you the same or even bigger number of visitors as a short keyword if you invest in these long tail keywords the same amount of money.
To put it simple, you’ve got 2 options:
OPTION I. Target some very competitive short keyword which may require 1,000 back links to get even close to your competition. After all of this time, energy and money investment, you finally reach #1 for your term. What does this get you? If you are really lucky, you could get 10,000 visitors from this keyword per day when you reach and maintain a #1 ranking.
OPTION II. You can target some less competitive, long tail keywords. For example, you’ll target keywords that require 5 back links each for you to be #1 on Google for each of them. By acquiring the same 1,000 of back links for these keywords, you’ll be #1 on Google for 200 keywords (1000 / 5 = 200). Usually these 200 keywords will bring you even more visitors from Google than that 1 short keyword. But, even if these 200 keywords bring you the same traffic, this option is still much better because of the following reasons:
- You’ve got a lot of competitors and everyone wants to get high rankings for that short keyword (because it is one of the most popular keyword in your niche). The competition becomes stronger and stronger from day to day. You acquired 1000 back links, your competitor – 1100. You 1200, he – 1300, and so on. So you’ll have to spend more and more and so your profit from it will become less and less. From the other side, a much smaller number of people know that it is more profitable to target long tail keywords, and so, very few companies compete for long tail keywords. In addition, there is very small number of short keywords in any niche and tens and even hundreds more long tail keywords in each niche. So even if someone else also targets long tail keywords, there is a very low probability that he’ll be targeting the same keywords as you. So once you acquired 5 back links for your long tail keyword and reached #1 on Google, you may stay there for years before someone else outranks you. That’s why it is much more expensive to compete for short keywords than for long tail.
- Because of the strong competition, you can lose your position for the short keyword at any time! If you bank everything on one keyword and lose your position, you’re risking your entire business. From the other side, if you’re #1 on Google for 200 long tail keywords and someone even outranks you for several of them, this won’t affect your business much or even at all.
- It is less risky to target many long tail keywords and is easier to get high rankings on Google for them also because it looks more natural for Google when your back links all have different anchor texts and different keywords. The more natural your back link profile and your link building campaign looks to Google, the easier it will be for you to get high rankings.
- In order for your link building campaign to look natural for Google, it is important to use various anchor texts, which help to improve rankings for different keywords of your website. Also when you help to improve rankings for low competitive terms, you increase rankings for competitive keywords gradually, which looks more natural for Google and avoids risks of being penalized.
- Additionally, long tail keywords have a much higher conversion rate because they are more specific!
In the next post, we’ll share another secret and very a strong weapon which can be used against your competitors to outrank them and win the business.”
Carpe Diem My Friends
SOURCE: Links Management